- Sports Medicine
Diplomate- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Fellow/Member- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; Arthroscopy Association of North America; American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine Founder and Medical Director- Southwest Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic, Ltd.
A board certified Orthopaedic Surgeon and founder of Southwest Sports Medicine, Dr. Angelo J. Mattalino is a well-recognized specialist in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee injuries for professional, recreational and student athletes. Since 1990, he has successfully developed and implemented innovative surgical and recovery strategies that return injured athletes to mobility, strength and flexibility often exceeding pre-injury levels.
His credentials include fellowships with Dr. James R. Andrews of the prestigious American Sports Medicine Institute and Dr. J. R. Steadman of the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic. Dr. Mattalino has served as the Medical Director for Major League Baseball’s (MLB) Arizona Fall League since its inception in 1992. He has also served as lead-Physician and Orthopaedic consultant for the:
- USA/MLB Baseball teams:
- 2008 Summer Olympic Games, Beijing, China;
- 2006 Olympic Qualifying Tournament, Havana, Cuba;
- 2004 Summer Olympic Games, Athens, Greece;
- 2000 Summer Olympic Games (Gold-Medal), Sydney, Australia;
- 1999 Pan-American Games (Silver-Medal), Winnipeg, Canada
- Milwaukee Brewers Major League Baseball Organization through 2002; and
- Association of Tennis Professionals Tournament Physician.
For more than two decades, Dr. Mattalino has been developing and performing advanced techniques in arthroscopic surgery and the practice of “comprehensive-care” sports medicine. In 1990, he established Southwest Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic, a full-service facility staffed by experienced, dedicated medical professionals focused on bringing injured athletes back to the top of their game. Southwest Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic Ltd. has locations in Scottsdale, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona.
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Tulane Medical School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Medical Doctorate: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
- Masters of Science – Anatomy: University of Mississippi Medical School, Jackson, Mississippi
- Bachelor of Arts, Tulane University: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Graduate: Strake Jesuit College Preparatory School, Houston, Texas
For Dr. Mattalino’s Curriculum Vitea or more information on Southwest Sports Medicine visit http://SouthwestSportsMedicine.com